What are the benefits of dog training with First Paw Forward?
- Help your dog relax and listen
- Teach your dog to be responsive to you
- Make your dog smarter
- Learn new skills and manners (sit, stay, come, and other basics are always included)
- Gain an understanding of the needs of your dog’s need for a variety of sensory experiences
- Create more balance in your home and lifestyle
What to expect in a session:
- Prepare To Move. Our somatic approach teaches you to observe the physical movement patterns of both you and your dog and start to think differently about how we use our bodies in communication and expression. *(Dana is a certified human movement specialist)
- Think Outside the Box. There are many ways to communicate with your dog, both verbally and physically – you should understand how to communicate a variety of ways, just like your dog does.
- Slow Down and Trust: Be a better listener – your dog is constantly communicating with you. What is he or she saying?
- WE ARE VERY CREATIVE in our approach – like dogs, we are willing to try anything to get results!
Once your dog learns the basics, they can do more in the world, like:
- Be a therapy dog
- Play dog sports, like agility and rally obedience
- Do tricks
- Play off leash safely
Common problems we solve:
- Coming when called
- Pulling on leash
- Jumping on strangers (or owners/family)
- Mild separation anxiety
- Fear reactivity / shyness or anxiety
- Common puppy behaviours such as nipping, play-biting, house-training, etc.
How many sessions will you need?
A 90 minute comprehensive introductory session is surprisingly packed full of information and tools you can begin to apply right away. Most clients seeking real change schedule anywhere from 2 to 4 sessions, or several more, depending on the age and temperament of the dog, and if you have more advanced goals or challenges.
Initial Sessions are $170 for 90 minutes
Subsequent sessions are $115/hour
We service the city of Richmond through the Far West End. Ask us about parts of Hanover, Eastern & Western Henrico, Chesterfield, and Goochland before booking.
Ready To Get Started?
Call (804) 719-1PAW (1729) OR >
First Paw Forward uses gentle, effective methods of dog training based on the psychology of learning.
Positive Dog Training uses rewards to reinforce desired behavior until new skills and behaviors are mastered. Rewards can include treats, toys, and affection, depending on your dog.